Monday, January 11, 2010

Filling Our Advanced Orders


A "self published" book is also "self financed". Mary and I never discussed the source of our seed money with each other, but I will reveal that my half was taken from the nest egg created by my teacher's retirement severance payment. I knew in my heart of hearts that some day when my passions were stirred, that money would lead me on a whole new path of satisfaction. Yes, quoting Mary Ellen Mark from the AAA's Dictionary section of the book, with this venture, "I felt prepared to do my strongest work yet."

Marketing our book began by reaching out to our 27 Blue Garter friends, this includes the 15 women who contributed to the "Silly and Sacred Stories" section of the book. The postal clerk and I became fast friends as I juggled dozens of padded envelopes and flat rate boxes of books mailed out to those women now living in 13 states. Their advanced orders combined with local sales to friends gave us just under $1000 in sales that first month.

No comments:

Post a Comment